Making a list and checking it twice? If by “list” you mean “holiday grocery shopping list” then, yes! As you are planning your holiday meals, consider adding this Panettone Bread Pudding Recipe to your menu – it’s one of the favorites of our Executive Chef, Richard Rayment. Enjoy!
Panettone Bread Pudding
Executive Chef Richard Rayment
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 to 10 slices Panettone
6 whole eggs
1/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup dark rum
confectioners’ sugar to garnish
1. Heat oven to 350◦ and butter a deep baking dish that will fit the bread slices in a single layer.
2. Slice Panettone into ½ inch slices, place on sheet pan and lightly toast in the oven so that it is still flexible but dry.
3. Arrange toast in baking dish.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and salt, add milk and heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
5. Pour through a fine sieve and add rum.
6. Pour custard over toast.
7. Cover tightly with aluminum foil - bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the bread has soaked up the custard and the custard is not runny.
8. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes to 30 minutes before serving.
9. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Yield - 6 - 8 portions